The Kahnawà:ke Legislative Coordinating Commission (KLCC) says the community has given a Mandate and has approved the Purpose to proceed with the proposed amendments to the Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke Election Law.
The Scope of the amendments was determined by the Technical Drafting Committee. The subject matters and activities are as follows:
- Development of Preamble and Purpose statements;
- Setting a definite date for the election;
- Appointment of the Electoral Officer by the Kahnawà:ke Justice Commission;
- Clarification of and, if need be, removal of the eligibility requirement that a nominee must declare all their private business holdings;
- Identification of provisions suitable for transfer into a regulation
- Establishment of a body to review decisions of the Electoral Officer in an expeditious manner
The date for the First Hearing has been tentatively set for Tuesday, Jan 23 at the Golden Age Club at 6pm.